Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Cheesy Chicken Risotto - Recipe

I tried a new to me recipe this week - I got it awhile back from my sister, and never got around to making it. Big mistake. It is versatile, SIMPLE and delicious. My kids were all kinds of suspicious as I was preparing it, because I told them it was new...

Kenna: I hope this is one of your good recipes {because I always make them terrible food, right? ;-)}
Me: Well, I think it's pretty good, it's Auntie Lauryn's recipe and you like her cooking
Brooks: Is it as good as Uncle Mark's pancakes?
Me: uuuuuhhh, probably not, because there is no syrup involved
Brooks: awww, he makes good pancakes
Kenna: I ate eight!

So it might not stand up against pancakes, but everyone liked it, even Brian:-)

CHEESY CHICKEN RISOTTO BAKE

1 can mushroom soup
3/4 C water
1/2 C milk
1/4 C parmesan cheese
3/4 C white rice, uncooked
2 C spinach, raw leaves (can omit if you don't have any)
1 C red pepper, chopped (or use green, yellow etc)
1 t thyme
3/4 lb cubed chicken, raw (I use 2 large boneless skinless breasts cut up for a double recipe)

1 T parsely (optional as garnish)

- Mix soup, water, milk and cheese in a shallow 2 L casserole dish (bigger if you are doubling of course). A 9X13 works fine
- Add all remaining ingredients, stir and cover
- Bake at 400 F for 35 min (covered)
- Stir, and then bake for 15 min (uncovered) - *or until rice is hot and tender (I find this usually requires an extra 10 minutes or so for a double recipe)
- Sprinkle with parsley
Let stand for 5 min before serving

What makes it easy is that it's all in one dish, chicken can still be semi-frozen (thawed enough to cube up, but not thawed all the way), is definitely an "eye ball it" recipe, as far as chicken and veggies go (add more, or less, and it'll be fine) and it doesn't take forever to cook!

This one is a winner, and perfect for the 'throw together' type of last minute dinner. I don't know about you, but I stock all these ingredients (maybe except the spinach) in my pantry/fridge at all times. Easy Peasy!

No comments:

Post a Comment