Friday, August 22, 2014

Poured fondant - Recipe

I tried something new! I've heard about it, and now was the perfect time to give it a try. See, making a fondant cake is time consuming, and completely destroys your kitchen...I've not been able to figure out a neat and tidy solution. It's just messy. For my cookies and cupcakes business, I don't do cakes - because they are much much much too time intensive, and would take so much time out of my family that I couldn't charge enough to be worth it. I do like making cakes, and trying things, but I'll keep that to personal occasions, not for hire.

Well, a friend placed an order, she is also a caterer, and has given/will give me business, so it is within my best interests to keep her happy. And she wanted themed cookies and a cake. The theme was whales, and so I knew I could maybe try this new technique (saving me time!), and it WORKED. Yay!

This type of fondant will not work in all cakes or situations (comparing poured fondant to rolled fondant), but if you're into cakes, you'll see that this can have it's place.
I poured the fondant over the nicely crumb coated cake (be as even and smooth as you can about it)

It's up on a cooling rack, so the excess can drip away.
I've only done this ONCE, so I am by no means an expert, but I'll share what I've learned this first time around. Any other significant discoveries in the future, and I will update the post.

POURED FONDANT RECIPE


9 C icing sugar, sifted*
1/2 C corn syrup, warmed (the clear kind is preferred, if you want whiter fondant)
4oz white chocolate, melted
2 t vanilla OR almond extract
1/2 - 1 C warm water

*(that is 1 2lb bag plus 1C) - icing sugar is also called confectioners sugar. THIS MUST BE SIFTED. I did not sift it, as I usually don't sift things (quite often it is an unnecessary step), but this time, it's important. I didn't sift it, and I had tiny "balls" of icing sugar that did not get mixed smooth. 

Mix all ingredients with only 1/2 C of water on low in mixer until well blended. Up the speed a little, and add more water, just a little at a time, until you reach a thick, yet very pourable consistency. Too much water will give you a sheer-er application. Too sticky and it won't run down the sides of the cake.

Pour this right away on a cake that has been crumb coated, (be even and smooth about it, imperfections will show through - So use the paper towel method to rub out any ridges etc) - after cake is crumb coated, place in freezer for about 20 mins or fridge for maybe 40 - you want it cold when you pour the fondant.

I covered a 12" round, two layers high. It could have covered a third layer too,by the amount of excess, I'd say.

Pour the fondant over the top of the cake and let it run down the sides. There is almost no need for touching it at all, it will pour and smooth itself out, if you do need to touch it with an off set spatula to help it "move" over the edge, do it quickly before it begins to set.

Make sure your cake is on a cake board BEFORE you pour the fondant. Have the cake on a cooling rack, to allow excess to fall away.

After about 30 mins, the excess will have all dripped off. You can take a knife, scrape it from the table (super easy), and wipe the table as normal. Anyone who has rolled fondant knows there is nothing normal about the way you need to wash your table after the fact. So the clean up here is AWESOME. If you laid wax paper down prior to pouring, it would be even easier to clean up!

 The cake gets dry to the touch within an hour, it never gets totally hard though. So for decorations, I would suggest buttercream (flowers, words, etc). I used a fondant whale I made, and he is heavy, so he sunk in a bit



 I am not sure if it was me, or if I wiggled the cake too much getting it onto the display platter, but I got "cracks" - they aren't actually cracked, but they look kinda like that, even though the surface is smooth and unbroken. Because this is a "water" looking cake, I thought it kinda went with the theme, so I decided not to worry about it. Next time I will either move it sooner to display platter, or later. Not sure which yet:-) (while still more "wet" or while completely "dry", I'll need to research it)
These are the "cracks" - even though the surface is perfectly smooth. The whale is heavy, so you can see how he settled in.

No comments:

Post a Comment